This week was soooo amazing! Just thought I would get that out
there... The Lord's hands are in this work and it was very evident
this week here in South Philly. A scripture comes to mind when I have
reflected on this week:
8 For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own
nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he
seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth
counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.
9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I
do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath
commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an
instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and
this is my joy.
10 And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and
coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do
I remember what the Lord has done
Alma 29:8-10
It started off with what I shared in my last email about Anita's
friends. We have a return appointment with them this week. But that
was just a taste of what this week would bring. We had a pretty good
week going but then on Thursday night our assistants called and wanted
to do a hand off of some investigators they had received a referral
for. So we went with them to contact these two people.
Tinshu is 15 and has been here for 1 month with his father Anwa. They
are both from Beijing and are here so that Tinshu can audition to go
to the Curtis institute for music, the number one music school in the
world. So they live in center city above a Chinese place where they
have very little furniture but they have a baby grand in the living
room where Tinshu practices about 6 hours a day. He is the number 1
piano player in China and turned down lots of schools to come to
Philly. They have friends in China who are members and they sent in
the referral so we could help temporally, they didn't realize it would
come with spiritual assistance as well ;) So we met them on Thursday
night, Tinshu speaks English, kinda.. but Anwa doesn't speak any
English. We decided that it would be really hard to teach without a
translator, so we reached out to a Chinese member of the branch,
Sister Su, and she was able to come to our appointment the next day!
The lesson went pretty well, we were able to get all kinds of info
about Chinese culture and their back story and things like that. Well
Anwa didn't really want us to come by anymore or to come to church
because he thought it would distract his son from music. We couldn't
even do anything because we cannot communicate with him! We bore
testimony and Sister Su persuaded him to come to church on Sunday and
then to go from there.
So they came to church! It was a little bit of a crazy fast and
testimony meeting, but Sister Su translated all 3 hours for Anwa and
they both really loved church. Tinshu loved the music at church and was
able to go to young mens and exchanged numbers with the Young Men’s
President, who just returned from a trip to Beijing! After the
meetings, we talked with them and Sister Su for a little bit and
Anwa's concerns changed from taking up time to being able to honor
baptismal covenants once he returns to China! What a change 3 hours of
the spirit makes! Now we have a return appointment and they want to
keep coming because they have some friends in the branch.
13 Yea, and that same God did establish his church among them; yea,
and that same God hath called me by a holy calling, to preach the word
unto this people, and hath given me much success, in the which my joy
is full.
Alma 29:13
I can say that right now my joy is pretty full. It’s overwhelming
sometimes to look back and see all that Heavenly Father has done for
me and those we are working with.
I hope everyone takes every moment they can to allow our Heavenly
Father to work miracles through them for those around us, you might be
surprised by what could happen.
Have a great week everyone! I love you, God loves you!
love,
Elder Parker
No comments:
Post a Comment