Monday, September 23, 2013

FIRST LETTER FROM THE MISSION FIELD!

This week has been crazy! I love it here in Newark, the people are really nice and the weather has been great. It is still weird though that Delaware has like 1 stake... and our ward boundaries for the 1st ward (that is my area) is huge.
We live near that border of Maryland so today we drove to Maryland to go to Walmart. Weird. The members here are great. I met one of the councilors in the bishopric and his brother owns Summerhays Music in Utah! Small world.  My companion, Elder Thomas, is a convert to the church, he joined when he was 15. His dad's side has always been members and his mom and her side are catholic. He says they are really supportive of him and he just turned 21 on Saturday! He is amazing! Everyone I saw at transfers told me how obedient and great he is. It’s true. He is the most obedient missionary I will probably ever meet. He is a great trainer and I learn so much from him.
We have 6 new investigators since I got here and Elder Thomas says that this is the best time he has had in this area. There are Lots, LOTS of foreigners. We are teaching a student who is from China and doesn't speak a lot of English, at least not very well. She is amazing. I know she is prepared by the Lord for baptism.
We met Thiago and his friend Brenda. Both Brazilian, here getting doctorates in molecular biology and they are trying to solve some disease using genomes and DNA. It’s crazy. He also doesn't speak or understand a lot of English and has a HEAVY accent.
We met a woman named Elizabeth Justice. Great name, really nice lady who we are meeting with tonight.  A man who I haven't met that we are teaching is named Gary, committed to baptism a while ago then just dropped off. Turns out he has cancer and he had to go back in for something. Elder Thomas tells me he is a great guy.
Found a man who we are meeting with tomorrow, lives in the closest thing to a ghetto I have ever been in. It’s scary, but I know a lot of those people have been prepared by the Lord. The Sisters in our area had a baptism yesterday. It was great to see. The member of our ward that found the girl that was baptized, is a great Member Missionary. He brought another woman with him who we had a chance to talk to for a while in the parking lot. She reminds me of some family we have.... She broke down and told us about her addiction problems and how she had an aneurysm on her 21st birthday and is now paralyzed on her left side. It was so sad to hear the things she had been through and the choices she had made. She is homeless. And this member saw her limping down the road and picked her up and has been helping her. She came to the baptism and told how out of place she felt. And how she knows that she needs to come unto Christ to get better. It was so touching to see how sincere she felt. I pray for her, that she can come unto Christ.

My apartment is good.. Elder Thomas and his companion were the first ones in there 12 weeks ago. They didn't have anything. We have a stove (gas, be jealous, lol) a fridge, some Ikea furniture, 2 desks and some couches and of course beds. I have some pictures if I can get them to work >:\ Oh Elder Thomas is from Michigan. He is a Michigan football fan, sorta... not really the sporty type. I have a 12 week program that I go through with Elder Thomas, 2 transfers, then if I have done everything, I get more privileges. Like Facebook proselyting and iPods. I am living currently off of mostly peanut butter and those addictive peanuts you sent haha. Got some ramen noodles today and some various other things.
 Elder Thomas drives, for now. I can drive but they said I should wait 2 or 3 weeks so I can be used to the mission. I will have to get a GPS. So I don't get lost haha.
You can send boxes right to me. Most of the people in my building are pretty good. And there is a camera right at my door. So ya... haha. Send the coat and stuff soon. Elder Thomas said he didn't get a lot of snow last winter, but it gets COLD. So ya. Boxes are good to my apartment and so are letters. We are trying to get library cards, but they want bills and we don't get bills... so we need to figure that one out, but for now we use the family history center at the church. Brother Rodeback would be jealous. As Elder Readhead would say (still in my district, so that's cool) it’s very "proper good" lol.
I am loving it here. I know that God loves us. Because he does, he sent Christ to the earth. He created a way for us to be happy. Right now I am happy. I have felt and seen the joy our message brings and it is amazing. Nothing can replace it. Stay safe. I will try to send pictures in a second. Love you all!


--
Love,
Elder Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment