Monday, October 7, 2013

OCTOBER 7TH, 2013

Elder Parker and Elder Sanchez
                                      Elder Parker, Sanchez, Thomas and Readhead
Wow. This week has been amazing! We had a hard week. A lot of our appointments fell through and things just weren't working out well Until General Conference. We had exchanges this last week. Elder Readhead came here with Elder Thomas and I went with Elder Sanchez to his area. Elder Sanchez is from California and is 26 years old. Neither of his parents are members. He was baptized when he was 24. We found 2 new investigators and we taught 2 lessons. It was great to see Elder Sanchez's example of door approaches. He is really good at keeping people at the door, even after they say they aren't interested.
While I was gone, Elder Readhead and Elder Thomas taught Yousif. He took a Book of Mormon and prayed. They also taught 2 less active families. It was a great exchange and I learned a lot. 
The weekend was amazing though. I have never felt such a powerful time before in my life. On Friday, right after we exchanged back, we went with the zone leaders and gave service to someone's brother, who was tearing off his roof. Reminded me of the roofs we did in our ward. It was really good to just go work! The humidity makes me sweat like I am working harder than I am, which feels good, lol. After that we went to Sis. McQueen's in our ward. We trimmed her bushes, but we ran out of time and she has more for us to do, so we will probably go back again. It was a great day. Service gives me one of the greatest feelings ever.
Of course you know on Saturday and Sunday we had General Conference, WOW! It was weird to be at the church for all the sessions, but I have never felt such love from my Heavenly Father. Yousif came to the Afternoon session on Sunday. After Elder Holland spoke, he told me that he knew Elder Holland had great faith in Christ, and that he spoke with the power of God. He also said after words that today he "heard the words of God." Yousif lost his wife several years ago, and we were talking with him after in the chapel about various things and then the church news came on. We talked about what they were showing, we were just about to leave when the one about Sis. Monson came on. He intently watched and I could tell he was feeling the spirit. It was such a great moment. We gave him a church tour after and he wants to come back. We will be meeting with him again this week.
Sunday was just amazing. I have told you about Susan, from China, who is at the University of Delaware studying English in business. We have met with her twice and she has been progressing, still no baptism date, but it’s coming. Bro. Bradshaw has been coming with us to the lessons. Bro. Bradshaw offered and invited her to church this last week. He offered her a ride and she has been calling and texting him since then. On Sunday his mother, Sis. Bradshaw picked up Susan with him for the Sunday morning session. When they came in the door Susan and Sis. Bradshaw were talking and laughing, I could tell they had a connection already. Sis. Bradshaw gave her a tour of the church then sat with Susan and us and answered her questions during the session. It felt so good to see Susan connecting with members. Afterwords, Susan told us that she wanted to come to the next session. The Bradshaw's invited us to lunch and we talked more with Susan about conference and answered questions. During lunch, we all shared our favorite moment from the previous session. Susan talked about the story when the boy (?) talked about how baptism made him feel, she said "baptism is magic?"  We explained more about baptism. We were about to head back for the next session when Susan asked for a picture with the Bradshaws. I could tell at that moment, why we need member missionaries. She loved all of conference and is gonna come to church next week as well. We learned she will only be here until December and then she is going home to China. We learned she is the youngest of 4, yes 4 siblings. She told us of the hard times her parents went through to have all of her siblings. China puts heavy fines and workloads on those who have more children. We didn't know how old she was, we thought she could be in the singles ward, which means we would have to pass her off to the sisters who cover that ward, but she is 33. She looks 19! haha I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to know her, let alone share the gospel with her. 

Also, we have a referral from SLC. I am looking forward to our meeting with him. We have exchanges with the other Elders in our District this week, and with the zone leaders. I have to stay in the area for both, so hopefully we have things to do. I am nervous, but I know things will be fine, Heavenly Father will help me. I have grown so much, I am loving every second of it. I thank you for your prayers and everyone's prayer's on the behalf of me and my companion Elder Thomas. Heavenly Father has watched over us and protected us. I am so glad that I have this opportunity to grow. It is going by SO FAST. It is unbelievable. I am thankful for General Conference. I love you all so much! Continue to do what you know is right.

Love, Elder Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment